Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Splitting Pills

Anyone else have issues doing this successfully? I can *never* seem to
get the damn things right down the middle and the score-lines the
manufacturers put on are no help at all.
The particular pills I'm on are a bit too strong even when split
accurately in two. I really need a dose of between 35 and 40% of a whole
pill which comes out at about 0.9mg. I have found pill-splitters to be
totally useless. The only viable solution I can think of is to dissolve a
whole tablet (2.5mg) in 100ml of distilled water in a graduated cylinder,
then syphoning off 35-40ml with a needle-less syringe. I'd like your
feedback and observations before I try this, though. AIUI, water does not
attack the active ingredient in question (diazepam) but light *does* so
provided I keep the fractions in light-tight bottles for not too long I
should be alright, provided I haven't overlooked anything. Have I?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 18:09, Chris wrote:
[...]

Instead of tablets, get your doctor to prescribe Diazepam 2 mg/5 ml Oral
Suspension. It's available sugar-free or with sugar if you prefer.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris explained on 17/06/2018 :
I'd like your
feedback and observations before I try this, though. AIUI, water does not
attack the active ingredient in question (diazepam) but light *does* so
provided I keep the fractions in light-tight bottles for not too long I
should be alright, provided I haven't overlooked anything. Have I?

How about a mortar and pestle, to powder the pills, then split the
powder by eye into 5 portions. Take 3 (=30%), or 4 (=40%).

Another way, might be to crush as above, then use a pair of those
scales that druggies use, to measure the dose accurately. The scales
are less than a tenner a pair from China.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 18:09, Chris wrote:
Anyone else have issues doing this successfully? I can *never* seem to
get the damn things right down the middle and the score-lines the
manufacturers put on are no help at all.
The particular pills I'm on are a bit too strong even when split
accurately in two. I really need a dose of between 35 and 40% of a whole
pill which comes out at about 0.9mg. I have found pill-splitters to be
totally useless....

They are. I use a scalpel and do it by eye. However, I only need the
pills split in half. I wouldn't like to try thirds that way.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 18:53:15 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How about a mortar and pestle, to powder the pills, then split the
powder by eye into 5 portions. Take 3 (=30%), or 4 (=40%).

Eyeballing is surprisingly inaccurate! I have tried it and it doesn't
work anything like well enough.

Another way, might be to crush as above, then use a pair of those scales
that druggies use, to measure the dose accurately. The scales are less
than a tenner a pair from China.

Yup. Got one of those that states it's good down to 1 mg. They are pretty
amazing for the price, but are out of their depth at such sub-
featherweights. You have to bear in mind that 2.5mg of these tablets is
not 2.5mg of diazepam; most of the weight in a pill comes from the inert
bulking agents they use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 20:04:11 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 18:53:15 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How about a mortar and pestle, to powder the pills, then split the
powder by eye into 5 portions. Take 3 (=30%), or 4 (=40%).

Eyeballing is surprisingly inaccurate! I have tried it and it doesn't
work anything like well enough.

Another way, might be to crush as above, then use a pair of those scales
that druggies use, to measure the dose accurately. The scales are less
than a tenner a pair from China.

Yup. Got one of those that states it's good down to 1 mg. They are pretty
amazing for the price, but are out of their depth at such sub-
featherweights. You have to bear in mind that 2.5mg of these tablets is
not 2.5mg of diazepam; most of the weight in a pill comes from the inert
bulking agents they use.

Those little chinese scales are great, but be aware that typically their accuracy is nearly 10x worse than their displayed resolution.

Also I have encountered one set of scales that had several scales (units), most of which were a complete mystery as to their identity. And one was near enough to grams to be confused for grams, resulting in wrong measurements.. Ans it gave no useful indication of what scale it was on. A single old weight is good to check them with. Or a piece of A4, if you know its gsm you can calculate its weight.

Diazepam OTOH - meh, I can't think of anything I'd be willing to take that for.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 20:53:44 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking tabbypurr wrote :

Those little chinese scales are great, but be aware that typically their
accuracy is nearly 10x worse than their displayed resolution.

I bought some and a set of calibrated weights. Mine were on the nose
throughout there range.

Right. My current 200g one is good to 1% FSD, but measuring tiny increments it's less good at.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote

Anyone else have issues doing this successfully?

I dont.

I can *never* seem to get the damn things right down the middle
and the score-lines the manufacturers put on are no help at all.

I didnt have any trouble doing it when I used to split the metoprolol.

The particular pills I'm on are a bit too strong even when split
accurately
in two. I really need a dose of between 35 and 40% of a whole pill

Is the dose that critical with diazepam ? If it was, I'd expect that the
manufactures would have made it easier to get the dose you require.

which comes out at about 0.9mg. I have found pill-splitters to be
totally useless. The only viable solution I can think of is to dissolve a
whole tablet (2.5mg) in 100ml of distilled water in a graduated cylinder,
then syphoning off 35-40ml with a needle-less syringe. I'd like your
feedback and observations before I try this, though. AIUI, water does not
attack the active ingredient in question (diazepam) but light *does* so
provided I keep the fractions in light-tight bottles for not too long I
should be alright, provided I haven't overlooked anything. Have I?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Chris explained on 17/06/2018 :
I'd like your
feedback and observations before I try this, though. AIUI, water does not
attack the active ingredient in question (diazepam) but light *does* so
provided I keep the fractions in light-tight bottles for not too long I
should be alright, provided I haven't overlooked anything. Have I?

How about a mortar and pestle, to powder the pills, then split the powder
by eye into 5 portions. Take 3 (=30%), or 4 (=40%).

Another way, might be to crush as above, then use a pair of those scales
that druggies use, to measure the dose accurately. The scales are less
than a tenner a pair from China.

The electronic microscales work much better.

But Diazepam is available in liquid form
so much easier to measure that instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 17/06/2018 18:09, Chris wrote:
Anyone else have issues doing this successfully? I can *never* seem to
get the damn things right down the middle and the score-lines the
manufacturers put on are no help at all.
The particular pills I'm on are a bit too strong even when split
accurately in two. I really need a dose of between 35 and 40% of a whole
pill which comes out at about 0.9mg. I have found pill-splitters to be
totally useless....

They are. I use a scalpel and do it by eye.

A little mini guillotine thing should work fine. Someone must make one.

However, I only need the pills split in half. I wouldn't like to try
thirds that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 18:53:15 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How about a mortar and pestle, to powder the pills, then split the
powder by eye into 5 portions. Take 3 (=30%), or 4 (=40%).

For this sort of purpose, you will ideally need one of these:
https://tinyurl.com/ydeguphw

Regular porcelain types will result in too much loss which you certainly
can't afford when you're talking such tiny amounts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 06:44:28 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Another way, might be to crush as above, then use a pair of those scales
that druggies use, to measure the dose accurately. The scales are less
than a tenner a pair from China.

The electronic microscales work much better.

But Diazepam is available in liquid form
so much easier to measure that instead.

Darn, Mr. Know-it-all from Ozzieland has found another thread to **** in!
tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
[...]

The score lines work, just put the tablet on the table score line up and
press both sides of the score line down (saw nurse doing it)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No.
I am in a bit of a fix just now. The pills I am on are the lowest dose of a
blood pressure pill, but one a day has side effects like dizzy spells and
pins and needles in the hands.
So ideally my doctor would like to make the dose smaller over a longer
time. This is not possible as splitting the tabled, which are small does not
guarantee half the dose in any case.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1700498 20180617 180910 Chris wrote:
[...]

Your local pharmacy will sell you a pill splitter for a couple of quid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 20:03, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 17/06/2018 18:09, Chris wrote:
Anyone else have issues doing this successfully? I can *never* seem to
get the damn things right down the middle and the score-lines the
manufacturers put on are no help at all.
The particular pills I'm on are a bit too strong even when split
accurately in two. I really need a dose of between 35 and 40% of a whole
pill which comes out at about 0.9mg. I have found pill-splitters to be
totally useless....

They are. I use a scalpel and do it by eye. However, I only need the
pills split in half. I wouldn't like to try thirds that way.

I just use a knife with a decent blade to split mine. The ones I have
to split have a groove in the top so its easy.

I use a scalpel because that is what I've got. A good craft knife should
do just as well. I got lots of practice when I had a cat with asthma. I
had to cut prednisolone pills about 2.5mm in diameter into four, with no
markings to guide me.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

Which often do not work,I have tried 5 so far, maybe I am not paying enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 June 2018 09:02:54 UTC+1, FMurtz wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

Or maybe they're junk. The one I saw had a moulded plastic blade!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 18:09:12 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
[...]

Couldn't you just crush the pill into a powder, then using something like a mirror and credit card, arange it into equal lenght/width lines and using a rolled up fiver ........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 17:09:10 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

[...]

A few years ago I mentioned to a couple of friends that I took low
dosage aspirin by breaking up a 300mg tablet into 4 or 5. They both
immediately looked at me in horror - one was a Chemist, the other was
a medical Doctor. They explained that there was no way of knowing the
the medical dose was evenly spread across the aspirin which contained
other elements to help with binding and stomach protection etc.

I then resolved to dissolve the aspirin and use a small portion of
that each day.

hth

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:12:08 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

The score lines work, just put the tablet on the table score line up and
press both sides of the score line down (saw nurse doing it)

Even if this were to come out perfectly, it would still result in what
for me would be two overdoses (I'm only requiring 30-40% of a full
tablet).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 11:44:53 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

A few years ago I mentioned to a couple of friends that I took low
dosage aspirin by breaking up a 300mg tablet into 4 or 5. They both
immediately looked at me in horror - one was a Chemist, the other was a
medical Doctor. They explained that there was no way of knowing the the
medical dose was evenly spread across the aspirin which contained other
elements to help with binding and stomach protection etc.

That's a very good point and much overlooked. You could only do this with
tablets that explicitly state they are split-able.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom explained on 17/06/2018 :
For this sort of purpose, you will ideally need one of these:
https://tinyurl.com/ydeguphw

Regular porcelain types will result in too much loss which you certainly
can't afford when you're talking such tiny amounts.

That seems a bit big and rather expensive at $699.

How about something smaller, more suitable and a lot cheaper -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282968704731 £1.94 each
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Makes more sense to buy the low dose pills.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:12:08 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

The score lines work, just put the tablet on the table score line up and
press both sides of the score line down (saw nurse doing it)

Even if this were to come out perfectly, it would still result in what
for me would be two overdoses (I'm only requiring 30-40% of a full
tablet).

So use the stuff that comes in liquid form.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/18 14:08, Chris wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:12:08 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

The score lines work, just put the tablet on the table score line up and
press both sides of the score line down (saw nurse doing it)

Even if this were to come out perfectly, it would still result in what
for me would be two overdoses (I'm only requiring 30-40% of a full
tablet).

The difference between 50% and 30% is such that only a delusional
paranoid could spot it.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 June 2018 15:30:45 UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:
wrote:

A few years ago I mentioned to a couple of friends that I took low
dosage aspirin by breaking up a 300mg tablet into 4 or 5. They both
immediately looked at me in horror - one was a Chemist, the other was
a medical Doctor. They explained that there was no way of knowing the
the medical dose was evenly spread across the aspirin which contained
other elements to help with binding and stomach protection etc.

If that was the case then no two pills would ever carry the same dose.
The contents of each pill are, within very sight tolerances, the same.
Pill mixing/packaging machines are huge re configurable production
lines with sampling and checking for mixture components and
homogeneity throughout the process. Take half a pill and you are
going to have half the active ingredient.

Yes. Pills are pressed from bulk powder, it has to be properly mixed before tabletting or you won't get consistent doses.

What you shouldn't do is split either enteric coated pills or slow
release capsules as these are designed to start releasing the active
ingredient in different parts of the gut and the capsule or pill
coating is vital.

Unless you specifically want it not-EC of course.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:39:25 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

That seems a bit big and rather expensive at $699.

That was just the first one I found. There are smaller and cheaper agate
ones available.

How about something smaller, more suitable and a lot cheaper -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282968704731 £1.94 each

Here's why not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsorption

Remember he's dealing with very tiny quantities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 07:41:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The difference between 50% and 30% is such that only a delusional
paranoid could spot it.

You're obviously a bit out of your comfort zone here, NP!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:30:36 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

If that was the case then no two pills would ever carry the same dose.
The contents of each pill are, within very sight tolerances, the same.
Pill mixing/packaging machines are huge re configurable production lines
with sampling and checking for mixture components and homogeneity
throughout the process. Take half a pill and you are going to have half
the active ingredient.

Not always. Let me give a simple example. You have a dropper full of
medicine and a succession of sugar cubes going by on a conveyor. You have
to drip one drop on each as they pass. Every single one of those cubes
now provides one whole dose of medicine. If you take one of them you will
get one whole dose. OTOH, if you break it in two and take one half, you
might get the half with the whole dose, or the half with zero dose. What
you will *not* get, is half a dose.

What you shouldn't do is split either enteric coated pills or slow
release capsules as these are designed to start releasing the active
ingredient in different parts of the gut and the capsule or pill coating
is vital.

Enteric coated, certainly, but some modified release tablets *can* be
split into smaller doses: the DHC 60, 90 & 120mg range of painkiller
tablets for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 04:01:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Yes. Pills are pressed from bulk powder, it has to be properly mixed
before tabletting or you won't get consistent doses.

Most of the tablets you find *are* made this way - but not all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 June 2018 18:15:10 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 04:01:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Yes. Pills are pressed from bulk powder, it has to be properly mixed
before tabletting or you won't get consistent doses.

Most of the tablets you find *are* made this way - but not all.

how else are they made? Other than adding a coating.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2018 12:44, AnthonyL wrote:

A few years ago I mentioned to a couple of friends that I took low
dosage aspirin by breaking up a 300mg tablet into 4 or 5. They both
immediately looked at me in horror - one was a Chemist, the other was
a medical Doctor. They explained that there was no way of knowing the
the medical dose was evenly spread across the aspirin which contained
other elements to help with binding and stomach protection etc.

I then resolved to dissolve the aspirin and use a small portion of
that each day.

hth

That's not a good idea.
Asprin tablets have an enteric coating on them to stop them dissolving
in the stomach where they can cause problems.
Just buy the 75mg ones intended for daily doses to thin the blood a bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2018 18:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
8

Not always. Let me give a simple example. You have a dropper full of
medicine and a succession of sugar cubes going by on a conveyor. You have
to drip one drop on each as they pass. Every single one of those cubes
now provides one whole dose of medicine. If you take one of them you will
get one whole dose. OTOH, if you break it in two and take one half, you
might get the half with the whole dose, or the half with zero dose. What
you will *not* get, is half a dose.

If its a homeopathic remedy you will get the whole dose even if you
throw the cube in the bin.

8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

Not really relevant since they stopped giving polio vaccine on sugar lumps.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 19:01:15 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Not really relevant since they stopped giving polio vaccine on sugar
lumps.

I was just trying to get the *principle* across; that's all!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/18 21:24, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 19:01:15 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Not really relevant since they stopped giving polio vaccine on sugar
lumps.

I was just trying to get the *principle* across; that's all!

yes, but all of the pills I take are homogenous.

I mean they can't allow variation in strength because a pill isn't
selected specially - its just a lump of a mixture. If they were not then
one pill in a batch could be twice as strong as another.

Its just an example of a smarty pants who hasn't thought things through
before stunning us with his (lack of) brilliance.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.