Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Phase converter

On 6/18/2018 1:49 AM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 6/18/2018 1:17 AM, Bill wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance.Â* I've seen that word over and
over-"heaters".Â* Is that slang for capacitors?

No, they're the fusible links that serve as overcurrent protection.

When you re-purpose a 3P controller for single phase, current draw
will be higher by the factor of phases * Voltage for same size motor
so the overcurrent protection has to match.

http://www.southlandelectrical.com/FurnasHeaterChart.asp
https://motorsandcontrol.com/siemens-furnas-e54-bi-metal-heater-element-for-siemens-furnas-overload/

TYVM!Â* If I ever buy one, it will be with great care!Â* Thanks! --Bill

In the picture of the old Rockwell starter at the previously posted
link, the pink table on the inside cover is the heater sizing info as a
function of motor nameplate current values. There will be such a table
for any starter for the manufacturer's specific part. Since they're
just fusible links, one of the same current rating will work in any
starter as long as it fits mechanically.

On the circuit drawing on the same picture, they're the little curlicue
in the motor T1 line as for functional depiction.

Smaller motors often have them built in as resettable thermal switches;
that'd be the red button you may have had to reset on some tool you have.

Newer mag starters may also use resettable thermal switches/breakers
instead of the fusible links.

So, you planning on bidding on one of these? Think you'd be very happy
with the machine.