Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Good ideas overseas

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 15:50:54 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 17/06/2018 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Sometimes one sees ideas when on holiday and it makes you wonder why the
idea is not more commonplace. An obvious one to me has been count-down
displays on Traffic Lights (and/or the Pedestrian Light)

Possibly with the consequence that people will jump the lights in a car
before going green and hit the car jumping the lights after red.

Where I've seen it the exact opposite occured and there was no edging
forward in a mistimed expectation of a green light showing.

I don't recall noticing any issue with cars jumping the red. Maybe
they learnt to realise they would get hit? Or maybe there was a
longer delay between the opposing red and the forthcoming green.

An idea I just saw in Italy was Pre-cast Curb Stones with a tongue and
groove a the end so they interlocked. Must make installation easier.

Or possibly more difficult when replacing existing curbs or when one
gets damaged after a heavy goods vehicle has mounted the curb.

AnthonyL