Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin Bob Martin is offline

Default Splitting Pills

in 1700498 20180617 180910 Chris wrote:
Anyone else have issues doing this successfully? I can *never* seem to
get the damn things right down the middle and the score-lines the
manufacturers put on are no help at all.
The particular pills I'm on are a bit too strong even when split
accurately in two. I really need a dose of between 35 and 40% of a whole
pill which comes out at about 0.9mg. I have found pill-splitters to be
totally useless. The only viable solution I can think of is to dissolve a
whole tablet (2.5mg) in 100ml of distilled water in a graduated cylinder,
then syphoning off 35-40ml with a needle-less syringe. I'd like your
feedback and observations before I try this, though. AIUI, water does not
attack the active ingredient in question (diazepam) but light *does* so
provided I keep the fractions in light-tight bottles for not too long I
should be alright, provided I haven't overlooked anything. Have I?

Your local pharmacy will sell you a pill splitter for a couple of quid.