Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Good ideas overseas

With regard to crossings. There are now some that interface with an app on a
smart phone for the pedestrian to help you find them and alert you of their
mode at a given time using blutooth I understand.There are moves afoot to
try to agree an international standard. It wold certainly help blind people
who no longer would need to either hear the bleeps not knowing if they aare
even there or hang on to a little rotating cone under the box.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 17/06/2018 15:50, alan_m wrote:
On 17/06/2018 15:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
Sometimes one sees ideas when on holiday and it makes you wonder why the
idea is not more commonplace. An obvious one to me has been count-down
displays on Traffic Lights (and/or the Pedestrian Light)

Possibly with the consequence that people will jump the lights in a car
before going green and hit the car jumping the lights after red.

If the timer doesn't faithfully represent the time to green this is
certainly a possibility. Otherwise its a brilliant idea and I've never
seen a car jumping the lights with these countdowns.

An idea I just saw in Italy was Pre-cast Curb Stones with a tongue and
groove a the end so they interlocked. Must make installation easier.

Or possibly more difficult when replacing existing curbs or when one gets
damaged after a heavy goods vehicle has mounted the curb.

It could even be reinforced so it doesn't break.