Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Biscuit jointer vs dowling jig

On 17/06/2018 16:27, misterroy wrote:
On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 2:12:57 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/06/2018 18:02, Tim Watts wrote:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

Rutlands were touting what looks like it could be a reasonable chepie
recently:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...utlands+xt2301

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

It depends on what you are doing...

Thinks like aligning long edge glue ups, biscuits are very good for.
Dowels also work but are more fiddly to use in that applications. For
things like joints into end grain, then dowels are usually better.

(dowels align on two axis - biscuits only really on one (although there
are some nift Lamello biscuits designed to hammer into perpendicular
slots that then pull joints together nicely).

I watched a youtube video and the guy compared different joints. The biscuit joint was little better than a butt joint

Depends on what you think its doing. Its not a replacement for M&T
joints etc, but its a quick way to to make assembly fast and accurate,
while adding a bit of additional strength in some axis.

If you want the speed and ease of biscuit jointing, but real joint
strength as well, then get a Festool Domino system. Just make sure you
are sitting down before looking at the price!

--
Cheers,

John.