Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Biscuit jointer vs dowling jig

On 17/06/2018 15:58, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 16/06/2018 18:13, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

Â*I don't have a router

You sad twisted individual ;-)

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look -
ta. Never heard of those...

IME the biscuit cutters for routers are sub optimal... oh and they are
also evil! ;-)

They're fine for cutting slots using an adjustable router table.

Yup table use is far easier that hand held with them, but still nothing
like as useful as the proper tool though.

--
Cheers,

John.