Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Biscuit jointer vs dowling jig

On 17/06/18 14:12, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/06/2018 18:02, Tim Watts wrote:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

Rutlands were touting what looks like it could be a reasonable chepie
recently:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...utlands+xt2301

Hi John,

That's at a rather good price - thanks for the link.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

It depends on what you are doing...

Thinks like aligning long edge glue ups, biscuits are very good for.
Dowels also work but are more fiddly to use in that applications. For
things like joints into end grain, then dowels are usually better.

(dowels align on two axis - biscuits only really on one (although there
are some nift Lamello biscuits designed to hammer into perpendicular
slots that then pull joints together nicely).

Interesting - thanks for the explanation