Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Phase converter

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 15:41:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/16/2018 2:01 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 12:29:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/16/2018 11:54 AM, OFWW wrote:

Your link is missing something so I couldn't see it.

I shouldn't've surrounded it w/ the I guess...try just

shorturl.at/rIPX9

That worked when I did a cut n paste.

Looks to me like he eliminated all heaters, L1 is connected to the top
of the heater, unless he ran the L1 really tight and parallel to the
heater, and the red wire to the coil is up there for sure so the
heater if tripped would not kill the control circuit.

However, for whatever reason I could not zoom the picture large enough
for clarification there.

You're right; that's a cobbed-up hookup fer sure...at the smaller
pitchures over on the RHS there's a wiring diagram for a single-phase
version but not a picture of the guts of one.

There's an even earlier Rockwell wiring manual for the Furnas-supplied
starters at the OWWM site
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/2805.pdf with text/drawing
superimposed on pictures of parts. Publishing ain't what it used to
be...

WOW! I kept a copy of that just for old times sake. While some of the
circuits don't have the proper safeties for full power cut off, it did
show that circuit that was in the back of my mind. And this diagram
should be of great interest to the OP as it shows all the variables.
Albeit the new stuff is somewhat different but the circuits should
still be applicable if used per local code.

I'll try to go take a picture or two here; I have one in PM gold, even
-- when I bought the Model 66 from factory in McMinnville, I ordered
it w/o electrics to save a few bucks since I had already gotten the
stash figured might as well use one of them instead of giving Powermatic
another $50 or whatever it was...seemed like a lot of money then!