Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Phase converter

On 6/16/2018 10:55 AM, OFWW wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 09:30:01 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/15/2018 11:57 PM, OFWW wrote:

dpb gave some great advice. I don't know what type of a switch is on
the jointer so it would be hard to say, there are so many variables
that I would ask the guy first what he has and a picture if possible.

3ph is virtually certain to have magnetic starter; a NEMA 1 is rated 3hp
single phase; I'd be extremely surprised if the jointer he's looking at
has a NEMA 0 although is possible; that would be the question to ask.

But included on the jointer itself? I wish I could see pictures of it.
He didn't say if it was an 8,10,etc inch jointer

I would certainly expect a one-unit starter, yes, with just remote push
button switch mounted somewhere on the machine.

Wouldn't ever dream of buying without at least pictures and details,
certainly, but my expectation until shown different would be something
similar to

shorturl.at/rIPX9

which is picture of what Rockwell/Delta used for years and years and
years...there will be a mag switch besides, yes, but this kind of
arrangement is what I would certainly expect.

I bought a dozen or so of these puppies used/reclaimed off old machines
30 yr or so ago and retrofitted them to everything in the shop 240V.
Still have a decent stash...

Many single-phase machines did come with mechanical switches, true, but
it's pretty-much unheard of in the 3ph world.

Now again, if this started out as something else and was retrofitted,
then anything is possible, granted; I was just presuming it's an old OEM
setup from somebody; Crescent, Rockwell, Oliver, ...