Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Phase converter

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 2:08:38 AM UTC-5, OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 01:55:21 -0400, Bill wrote:

I was looking at a jointer with a 3HP 3-phase motor.
Bill

3HP is a lot for a home shop jointer. An 8" jointer needs only 1HP.

If it were me, and the jointers is really clean and knives in good
shape and everything looks right on the bed, etc. Then I'd check on a
single phase motor, for pricing.

Agreed. Single phase 1hp motors can be had for $150, there abouts. A switch is a nominal cost.

As to the jointer's 3ph motor, sell it on Craigslist, if you can, or for scrap metal - about $5. Might can sell the 3ph switch, alone, also - $25?

Sonny