Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Tankless natural gas water heater

On 6/13/2018 11:19 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I would suspect either one will be better than you had, as the
technology has matured somewhat - but either one is still liable to be
more trouble than "I" would put up with. Cut your losses and install a
tank unit.

Several weeks ago on 'Ask This Old House' Richard Trethewy (I hope I spelled
that correctly) went to a man's house that had one of these tankless water
heaters that was giving him problems. Boy, what a set up he had, but
Richard reminded the audience you WILL have trouble with these type of
water heaters just like you will with a regular tank system. The warranty
is about the same but the expense is terrible considering the length of
service is no better. True, you don't have a standing tank and only use
the water when needed but for that amount of money and set up I'd expect a
25 year guarantee. I guess that's one of the reason I opted for another
regular hot water heater last year.

It is not an option on our new house in spite of other energy saving
options. Gas with regular tank. OK by me.