Posted to alt.home.repair
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Tankless natural gas water heater

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 3:53:20 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:58:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a Navian tankless water heater that I have had for about 8 years. I have had nothing but problems. I want to change it out to either a Rinnai or a Rheem water heater. I need about a 9.5 gpm or greater at 199,000BTU rating.
I already have the 3/4" gas line and the 3/4" water line and the condensate drain set up plus the 3" PVC vent lines so there is no reason to discuss these.
My question is which one is better. I would like one with a recirculating pump

I would suspect either one will be better than you had, as the
technology has matured somewhat - but either one is still liable to be
more trouble than "I" would put up with. Cut your losses and install a
tank unit.

Several weeks ago on 'Ask This Old House' Richard Trethewy (I hope I spelled
that correctly) went to a man's house that had one of these tankless water
heaters that was giving him problems. Boy, what a set up he had, but
Richard reminded the audience you WILL have trouble with these type of
water heaters just like you will with a regular tank system. The warranty
is about the same but the expense is terrible considering the length of
service is no better. True, you don't have a standing tank and only use
the water when needed but for that amount of money and set up I'd expect a
25 year guarantee. I guess that's one of the reason I opted for another
regular hot water heater last year.