Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Smart meters yet again - EON

Brian Gaff wrote

The problem with all of this is that are they absolutely sure this time
that they are unhackable

Why is that so crucial ?

and reliable on all tariffs?

No reason why they shouldn’t be and that’s a back office
function anyway, not what happens in the meter itself.

Also if anyone in your area has a blind resident, make sure they ask for
one of the talking remote units that offgen told me are readily available
but EDF say they cannot buy.

Why would most care about what the meter reads when
most don’t bother to read their meter with stupid meters.

And that’s the remote anyway, not the meter itself, so even
if it isnt currently available, it will be sometime later.

And presumably most blind people don’t live alone anyway.

"David" wrote in message
"We need to upgrade your electricity and gas meters to our new self-
reading smart meters.
Why are we changing your meters?
We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part
of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they
have great benefits for you:
.No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
.No more estimated bills1
.See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a
helpful in-home display.
"

However I can ring up and tell them that I don't want one. :-)

I wonder how many neighbours will go onto smart metering?

Having had the knee jerk "No Way!!!" response, I am wondering if there is
a major down side if the meter is SMETS 2 compatible.

Do all power companies support SMETS 2 meters and use them if you switch
suppliers?

The only minor benefit I can see at the moment is monitoring of gas usage
as I already have a free clamp on meter from EON for the electricity.

Cheers

Dave R

---