Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Smart meters yet again - EON

Yes they told me that they were not bothered if i did not have one as their
main target were dual fuel users. So what happens if you are a dual fuel
user and suddenly want to buy gas from another company?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On 2018-06-12, David wrote:
"We need to upgrade your electricity and gas meters to our new self-
reading smart meters.
Why are we changing your meters?
We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part
of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they
have great benefits for you:
.No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
.No more estimated bills1
.See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a
helpful in-home display.
"

However I can ring up and tell them that I don't want one. :-)

I wonder how many neighbours will go onto smart metering?

Having had the knee jerk "No Way!!!" response, I am wondering if there is
a major down side if the meter is SMETS 2 compatible.

Do all power companies support SMETS 2 meters and use them if you switch
suppliers?

The only minor benefit I can see at the moment is monitoring of gas usage
as I already have a free clamp on meter from EON for the electricity.

You should always look at these things from the PoV of;

- What happens if it goes wrong?
- What happens if it's hacked/compromised?
- What benefits accrue to the people trying to "sell" this to me?
- What happens if it's abused?

rather then from the PoV of the minimal benefits that accrue to you.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 17th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184