Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Smart meters yet again - EON

On 12/06/2018 14:39, Andrew wrote:
On 12/06/2018 14:20, dennis@home wrote:
Smart meters save you money even if you don't have one as they don't
need an army of readers to go out and read them.

Then that 'saving' is for the company, NOT the consumer.

The consumer pays for all the costs of a business!

I send an accurate electric meter reading every three months
when EDF send me an email requesting it. My balance is updated
immediately and I can pay immediately or wait 2 days to get
an actual electronic bill and then pay it.

However, if I was on direct debits (sic) then i would be
paying an *estimated* amount every month, whereas I actually
pay the proper balance in FULL, and yet derive none of the
financial bribes for DD.

Since most people on DD ended up in credit it is easy to see
why the energy companies preferred DD's.

They like to know they are getting money to spend rather than risk you
not paying when the bill arrives and them having to borrow to cover your
debt and pay the collectors, etc.

The actual rate of interest they can earn on your cash is quite low
compared to the costs if you don't pay.

Maybe you could get a better deal by paying 3 months in advance? Or how
about a smart meter and paying daily or by the unit?