Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Smart meters yet again - EON

On 12/06/2018 14:39, Andrew wrote:
On 12/06/2018 14:20, dennis@home wrote:
Smart meters save you money even if you don't have one as they don't
need an army of readers to go out and read them.

Then that 'saving' is for the company, NOT the consumer.

I send an accurate electric meter reading every three months
when EDF send me an email requesting it. My balance is updated
immediately and I can pay immediately or wait 2 days to get
an actual electronic bill and then pay it.

However, if I was on direct debits (sic) then i would be
paying an *estimated* amount every month, whereas I actually
pay the proper balance in FULL, and yet derive none of the
financial bribes for DD.

Since most people on DD ended up in credit it is easy to see
why the energy companies preferred DD's.

We have had smart meters for 5+ years. We have never been in credit by
more than about £75. With the interest rates over that period, the loss
of income to us is trivial. It is dwarfed by the discounts/lower
tariffs offered for monthly DDs.

--
Robin