Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Smart meters yet again - EON

"We need to upgrade your electricity and gas meters to our new self-
reading smart meters.
Why are we changing your meters?
We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part
of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they
have great benefits for you:
€¢No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
€¢No more estimated bills1
€¢See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a
helpful in-home display.
"

However I can ring up and tell them that I don't want one. :-)

I wonder how many neighbours will go onto smart metering?

Having had the knee jerk "No Way!!!" response, I am wondering if there is
a major down side if the meter is SMETS 2 compatible.

Do all power companies support SMETS 2 meters and use them if you switch
suppliers?

The only minor benefit I can see at the moment is monitoring of gas usage
as I already have a free clamp on meter from EON for the electricity.

Cheers

Dave R

---