Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Wiring a cooker hood

On 09/06/2018 09:18, Graeme wrote:

Having found a supplier of carbon filters, I need to mount our new (to
us!) cooker hood, which replaces an older non working hood.Â* There is a
13 amp socket in the wall, used by the original hood, but, because the
new hood is a different shape, and has to be mounted higher than the old
one, the power socket will directly behind the hood.

Directly behind the 13 amp socket, which is on a ring main, is a wooden
stud, so Plan A is to replace the socket with a junction box mounted on
the stud, maintaining the ring main, and hard wire the cooker hood to
the same junction box.

Plan B could be to just remount the existing socket on the stud, so that
it is recessed rather than flush, although I am not sure that would give
clearance for the cooker hood plug to be flush, too.

Are either of these options seriously non compliant or unsafe?Â* I don't
want to find an insurance claim, for example, failing because of
allegedly dangerous wiring, or whatever.

Does the cooker hood fit between two cupboards? If so, stick the socket
inside one of those.