Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Expanding Spade Bit?

On 6/7/2018 4:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards. The
instructions for the solar lights suggest using a hole saw, but I don't
have one that big and only need it for this project.

I've seen expandable spade bits for something like $10-15 at Menards. (It's
been a while) Has anyone used these things? Will they work without too
much trouble?

My other option would be a jigsaw or router, but I don't have a lot of
space to manuever.

Puckdropper

If you are getting into the 3-3.5" then you are not talking a spade bit but
a fly cutter and the latter is not something you would use in a hand-held
drill. Even in a drill press a fly cutter is scary at that size. Do
yourself a favor an invest in a proper hole saw -- they are not all that
expensive. As an alternative one might do what is sometimes done with holes
through masonry and drill scores of holes inside the perimeter and
saw/chisel/rasp/whatever the material inside out to the line but that would
be sheer hell for even one hole especially if the location is awkward.