Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Expanding Spade Bit?

I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards. The
instructions for the solar lights suggest using a hole saw, but I don't
have one that big and only need it for this project.

I've seen expandable spade bits for something like $10-15 at Menards. (It's
been a while) Has anyone used these things? Will they work without too
much trouble?

My other option would be a jigsaw or router, but I don't have a lot of
space to manuever.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 1:59:29 PM UTC-7, Puckdropper wrote:
I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards.

Spade bits that big would be TERRIBLE in soft wood - grabby and splinter-producing.
Drill a pilot hole for center, and use a deep hole saw with a (waxed?) solid rod as its pilot
(it's a nuisance to make the pilot hole at the same time as the hole, you can't see where the
center is). If the hole saw won't do the full 1.75" depth, you can chisel out some of the wood
and keep on pushing.

Compressed air gun is the quickest way to get sawdust out of the kerf (hole saws need this
every few seconds of cut). If the treated wood is toxic, use a vacuum as well.

I've used expandable auger-type bits, but they usually have a fixed screw-feed center,
aren't easy to get started, and splinter at finish (unless you have access to both
sides of the step... and 'a lot of space to maneuver'. That's probably a no-go.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 20:59:22 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards. The
instructions for the solar lights suggest using a hole saw, but I don't
have one that big and only need it for this project.
I've seen expandable spade bits for something like $10-15 at Menards. (It's
been a while) Has anyone used these things? Will they work without too
much trouble?
My other option would be a jigsaw or router, but I don't have a lot of
space to manuever.
Puckdropper

Hole saws go that big - but you need the bigger mandrel ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,180,42316

.... starts to get pricey at LV maybe similar at amazon or HF
for cheap ? dunno.

... or the cheapest way always - borrow one ! :-)

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have one of those stuck in a drawer somewhere. If memory serves, I used it a few years back to cut some 4-inch holes in hardwood. Worked fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/18 3:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards. The
instructions for the solar lights suggest using a hole saw, but I don't
have one that big and only need it for this project.

I've seen expandable spade bits for something like $10-15 at Menards. (It's
been a while) Has anyone used these things? Will they work without too
much trouble?

My other option would be a jigsaw or router, but I don't have a lot of
space to manuever.

Puckdropper

You can get one for 15 bucks.
What am I missing?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2018 4:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards. The
instructions for the solar lights suggest using a hole saw, but I don't
have one that big and only need it for this project.

I've seen expandable spade bits for something like $10-15 at Menards. (It's
been a while) Has anyone used these things? Will they work without too
much trouble?

My other option would be a jigsaw or router, but I don't have a lot of
space to manuever.

Puckdropper

If you are getting into the 3-3.5" then you are not talking a spade bit but
a fly cutter and the latter is not something you would use in a hand-held
drill. Even in a drill press a fly cutter is scary at that size. Do
yourself a favor an invest in a proper hole saw -- they are not all that
expensive. As an alternative one might do what is sometimes done with holes
through masonry and drill scores of holes inside the perimeter and
saw/chisel/rasp/whatever the material inside out to the line but that would
be sheer hell for even one hole especially if the location is awkward.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news

You can get one for 15 bucks.
What am I missing?

I'm out of date on my pricing. It seemed like hole saws were either
useless garbage or very pricy several years ago.

Looks like $20 for a hole saw will get this done, as much as the expanding
spade bit costs. Don't get to test that tool out, but from the sound of it
I wouldn't like it anyway.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
I need to make 8 rather large holes, about 3-3.5" in pool steps that have
already been installed. They're 2x12 pressure treated boards. The
instructions for the solar lights suggest using a hole saw, but I don't
have one that big and only need it for this project.

I've seen expandable spade bits for something like $10-15 at Menards.
(It's
been a while) Has anyone used these things? Will they work without too
much trouble?

They would work, not neccessarily the best option. And I expect they may be
pricier than you remember.

I know for sure that Irwin made them in at least two sizes. AIR the smaller
max diameter was less than you need but the larger would do it with plenty
of room left over. They are intended for use with a brace.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, hole saw. Easy to use and works amazingly well.
A tip is to drill the pilot hole first (so you can accurately locate it,
then drill a 1/2" or so just inside the hole cut line. This gives the
sawdust a way to escape the kerf so you don't burn up the hole saw.

-BR