Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I saw an incredible steam forging hammer in Chicago

"Ignoramus30696" wrote in
message ...
On 2018-06-07, wrote:
On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 2:13:34 PM UTC-4, Paul K. Dickman
wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:49:36 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus22513
wrote:
Totally shocking size of this hammer, and incredible operation.

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...orging-Hammer/

That looks like a hammer I saw at Finkl Steel in Chicago, 40
years ago. It
was forging billets of tools steel, a bit larger than the piece
in your
video.

Finkl moved and has modernized its equipment, so it's probably
not the
same hammer. What company is that?

Damn, I miss Finkl. Their old plant used to be about a mile away
from me.
When ever I was jonesing for some heavy industry, I would run up
Finkltown and watch real men bend raw elements to their will.
On a good day, the Finklmobile would roll across Cortland carrying
a giant
red hot billet of steel. From thirty feet away, the radiant heat
through
your windshield was like climbing inside a hot oven.

Paul K. DIckman

I stood on a catwalk maybe 40 feet away from one of those billets,
and I had to turn away from the heat. That was a real "Giants of
Industry" operation.

Yes, it is amazing how people work there all day!

In the blacksmithing class we discussed how some people perceive what
was an interesting hobby for us as a vision of Hell.