Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default I saw an incredible steam forging hammer in Chicago

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 2:13:34 PM UTC-4, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:49:36 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus22513 wrote:
Totally shocking size of this hammer, and incredible operation.

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...orging-Hammer/

That looks like a hammer I saw at Finkl Steel in Chicago, 40 years ago. It
was forging billets of tools steel, a bit larger than the piece in your
video.

Finkl moved and has modernized its equipment, so it's probably not the
same hammer. What company is that?

--
Ed Huntress

Damn, I miss Finkl. Their old plant used to be about a mile away from me.
When ever I was jonesing for some heavy industry, I would run up to
Finkltown and watch real men bend raw elements to their will.
On a good day, the Finklmobile would roll across Cortland carrying a giant
red hot billet of steel. From thirty feet away, the radiant heat through
your windshield was like climbing inside a hot oven.

Paul K. DIckman

I stood on a catwalk maybe 40 feet away from one of those billets, and I had to turn away from the heat. That was a real "Giants of Industry" operation.

--
Ed Huntress