Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oven with temperature readout

On Saturday, 2 June 2018 01:21:15 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 1 June 2018 11:12:37 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 31 May 2018 19:16:56 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2018 03:05:37 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 19:19:11 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 30/05/2018 09:24, newshound wrote:
On 30/05/2018 08:34, Bob Minchin wrote:
Pinnerite wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Pinnerite wrote:
I am trying to find a reasonably priced single oven with a
digital
temerature readout. None of the sites I have visited boast of
one.
Anybody any useful recent experience?

Do you mean one which reads the true temperature as measured
by a
sensor,
rather than just a digital display of what it's meant to be?

Yes

I think any sensible manufacturer would not offer this as it
would
clearly show the variations in temperature as the control system
cut
in and out causing some customers to be dissatisfied and letters
of
complaint.
I can't imagine other than a very high end oven employing a 3
term
PID
controller when a gradual variation +/- a few degrees from a
simple
bang bang controller would make no discernible difference in
cooking
performance.

I've simply got a couple of "floating" thermocouples in my double
oven
wired up to a standard display. It is interesting how rapidly the
air
temperature drops when the door is opened, and how relatively
slow
it is
to recover. I regularly use an IR thermometer to check the
temperature
of the linings, and sometimes use a probe in the joint. Several
decades
ago Cannon had an oven which came with a built-in probe and
display.

Not a conventional oven, but many years ago my parents had a Sharp
microwave with a temperature probe. You could set a temperature and
time and it would heat to that temperature and then hold that
temperature for the set time.

SteveW

I wonder how that worked or was it a gimmick that didn't work that
well.
Small wires would vapourise in a microwave.

How do you know that small wires were involved? Could be some
non-comducting fluid device.

Well most temp sensors use metal in their construction.

Not with the electronic sensors.

What do they sense then,

Temperature, ****wit.

This proves you know nothing.

Which is why you couldn't just put a
LCD display in a microwave oven.

But you can put a standard thermocouple in a metal jacket in one;

but microwaves are effected by metal

Nope, they have metal bodys, stupid.

You shouldn't you put metal unless the manufacturer says you can and any terms and conditions that need adhereing to.

As a demo we're put small neon bulbs in a microwave and they light up, the neons burn out too and it doesn't do the oven much good either.

that's why you're not meant to put metal in a microwave oven.

Thats always been a myth. Plenty suggest you
put foil over the bony end of drumsticks etc so
they dont get over cooked. Works fine.

Plenty don't.

https://gizmodo.com/what-actually-ha...ave-1569906393

Just like any appliance yuo reealy need to understand it and it helps if you read the instructions.

I doubt you could just place a thermomerter
in their either un less you has a suitable one,

You can anyway.

prove it,

Those Sharp temperature sensors do that.

you mean the £110 ones sure that;s mote than a paid for my oven.
Why do you think they need to charge such an amount when I can buy a complete DMM which can measure temeprrature for a 1/10th of the cost ?

as microwave ovens are specified in watts not the deg C

Thats why you measure the temperature

of a known amount of water, ****wit.

like convetnional ovens that;s why a micriwave
has heat setting as a percentage of full power

Irrelevant to whether you can measure
the temperature if you want to.

but yuo need to think about it a bit more ****wit.
Something which you;re incapable of doing.
That;s why they give time and power rating on microwave ovens
whwre as conventalal ovens give time and temperature.

And when roasting something like a leg of lamb
or slab of beef, what you care about is the internal
temperature of the slab or leg, not the air in the oven.

Exactly, so why don't they have temerature setting on microwave ovens. Why bother with a 800W setting why not have a 180C settign like on conventional ovens ?

Are you to thick to work it out ?