Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Solder vs. epoxy for copper pipes?

On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 12:44:11 PM UTC-4, Rkay wrote:
replying to Steve B, Rkay wrote:
Stainless steel clamp tightened over the Epoxy (J B Weld) on copper pipe
should provide pressure and strength and make the fix last much longer.

Where is the evidence that a clamp over a copper pipe makes the
fix last much longer? Silly me, I just solder copper pipes and
then they generally last the lifetime of the pipe system. If I had
to use that new epoxy stuff in a pinch, I would, but then I'd just follow
the directions.

PVC
or CPVC are joined that way in water line systems for housing.

Reallly? They are glued with epoxy and then they put a stainless clamp
over it? Show us some examples. Silly me, I've been using PVC or
CPVC cement all these years.

Water pressure at homes is about 50-100 PSI..

Should be closer to 50, and over ~75 I'd get a pressure reducer.

And thanks for reviving another 10 year old thread.