Old March 5th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair
PE PE is offline

Default Solder vs. epoxy for copper pipes?

Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Seems like it might be a useful alternative to use on joints in
tight, enclosed areas where heating the parts with an open flame is
difficult/dangerous. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned. Thanks for your
replies!!

Old March 5th 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"PE" wrote in message
Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Seems like it might be a useful alternative to use on joints in
tight, enclosed areas where heating the parts with an open flame is
difficult/dangerous. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned. Thanks for your
replies!!

I've never had a solder joint fail. I'm not going to change and hope that
the epoxy will still be there in five or ten years.

Old March 5th 07, 03:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"PE" wrote in message
Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Seems like it might be a useful alternative to use on joints in
tight, enclosed areas where heating the parts with an open flame is
difficult/dangerous. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned. Thanks for your
replies!!

Someone just told me it works great if you can't get all the water out of
the line to solider. I know they make some epoxies that dry underwater. The
only thing is this is all new stuff so it hasn't had the test of time.

Old March 5th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"PE" wrote in message

Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Seems like it might be a useful alternative to use on joints in
tight, enclosed areas where heating the parts with an open flame is
difficult/dangerous. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned. Thanks for your
replies!!

I've never had a solder joint fail. I'm not going to change and hope that
the epoxy will still be there in five or ten years.

Hi,
Ditto but maybe after it is proven over time?
Old March 5th 07, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"PE" wrote in message

Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Seems like it might be a useful alternative to use on joints in
tight, enclosed areas where heating the parts with an open flame is
difficult/dangerous. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned. Thanks for your
replies!!

I've never had a solder joint fail. I'm not going to change and hope
that the epoxy will still be there in five or ten years.

Hi,
Ditto but maybe after it is proven over time?

I hate the words "should" and "maybe."

When one considers that usually once you solder a joint, you cover it up
with other stuff, and if there's a problem, there's a major problem ripping
it out and doing it again, plus the water damage, why would anyone even
consider doing it any other way but solder?

Yes, soldering is dangerous. But they make all sorts of shields and
blankets, and lots of times, the joints are out where there is very little
danger. Some pieces can be made in trees, and never come in contact with
anything dangerous or flammable.

Soldering isn't rocket surgery. I believe I could teach a monkey to do it
in a day, and a twentysomething lip pierced moron in two days. Get a clean
joint, use flux, don't overheat, learn how to flow solder, and bingo.

I have repaired some amazing things with JB Weld and other epoxies. But,
when you consider thermal expansion, water hammer, rollercoaster
temperatures, and other things, I'll stick with solder, even if epoxy is
proven to be adequate for copper pipe. You can still get your mix wrong
with epoxies, have surface contaminants, incorrect cleaning, and other
things that will cause ultimate failure.

And when there is a failure, you will be ripping and tearing, repairing
sodden materials, and most probably be dealing with mold down the line.

IIRC, years ago, they came up with this new water piping system that used
crimps and swages that was going to revolutionize the water pipe systems in
housing. All it turned into was ruined houses and class action suits.

If you can't at least solder, or learn how to do so in a day, you shouldn't
be messing with copper. It's that important.

Just my two pennies.

Steve

Old March 5th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On getting the water out, Use Bread, white as it dissolves better, in the
pipe to block the water. They also make dissolving ball, kinda like the bath
scent balls.

Scott-
"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
t...

Old March 5th 07, 05:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"PE" wrote in message
Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Seems like it might be a useful alternative to use on joints in
tight, enclosed areas where heating the parts with an open flame is
difficult/dangerous. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned. Thanks for your
replies!!

I used it once several years ago. The joints are still leak free. That
doesn't prove anything, but is encouraging.
However, I went to use it last year and it had gone bad. Way too expensive
for two joints!

Old March 5th 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 10:05 pm, "PE" wrote: brevity snip
Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned.

I'd think so, without any personal experience. But you'll never get
it apart again if it leaks.

You can always put some sheet metal and a wet rag, if it will fit,
between the joint and any flammable material. You can get a baking
pan at Goodwill for a quarter and cut it to fit. There's really
nothing wrong with scorching the snot out of surrounding wood,
sometimes it can't be avoided.

Bust into your shower connection and you'll likely find burnt wood.
It ain't no biggie. Just be careful.
-----

- gpsman

Old March 5th 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"gpsman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 4, 10:05 pm, "PE" wrote: brevity snip
Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned.

I'd think so, without any personal experience. But you'll never get
it apart again if it leaks.

I can just about guarantee that if you heat it with a torch, it will come
apart.

Bob

Old March 5th 07, 06:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:20:52 -0800, "Sacramento Dave"
wrote:

Someone just told me it works great if you can't get all the water out of
the line to solider. I know they make some epoxies that dry underwater. The
only thing is this is all new stuff so it hasn't had the test of time.

They might even have tested it for a few years in some small to
middle-sized application, in Denver or Mongolia, but I would like 100
year test. How long has soldered copper been used? There are
probably plenty of pipes around from the first decade of its use. I
don't think the rest of my house will last as long, but I think the
solder joints will last 200 years.