tflfb

Default Annual HVAC Service contracts.

Annual contracts are great for the homeowner that has a problem with
changing out the air filter, or washing out the outside coils of a heat
pump / a c unit, or hasn't the time, tools or knowledge to oil a motor, or
spot a potential visual problem.

The agreement also gives the home owner a brake on part replacement cost,
and they normally provide you with faster service in the event of a break
down.

On my last agreement they did change out the humidifier screen, a new air
filter, a flame sensor indicator, oiled the furnace motor, checked the heat
exchanger for cracks, checked the burn color of the flame. In the spring
they oiled the outside unit motor, combed out the fins on the coils ( hail
damage), hooked up gauges to check the charge.

This cost was $165 a yr. Not to bad, I only did this one time in 10 yrs.,
due to the hail, as it was just as cheap to sign up for the agreement, as to
pay for a service call, and labor cost once on the job site.

I oil the motors myself, wash out the coils outside, as needed in the
summer, and changed out my filter monthly. The humidifier is not in use as I
maintain 30-35% in the winter. I remove and wipe off the flame sensor a
couple of times a season on the furnace. I bought and maintain carbon
monoxide detectors. My owners manual only recommended oiling the motors
every 3 yrs.

After about 5yrs on my new units I may have them serviced,( both motors
require no oil) only to make sure they are working efficiently, the 10 yr.
parts and labor warranty should cover the rest. I will maintain the outside
unit.( keep it clean )

My reason for this is I feel that the cost of the agreement, eats up the
savings in utility cost, a no brainier.

Tom