Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default MORE BLASTS FROM THE PAST: Hand signals from car

On Thu, 31 May 2018 17:38:00 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 5/30/2018 7:19 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2018 15:14:41 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 5/30/2018 6:27 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2018 14:23:03 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 5/29/2018 12:25 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2018 20:22:19 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 5/29/2018 12:16 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2018 19:58:41 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 5/29/2018 11:27 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2018 19:15:21 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 5/29/2018 9:27 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2018 17:13:02 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 10/13/2015 9:22 AM, Colonel Edmund Burke wrote:
On 10/13/2015 8:18 AM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor
stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the
other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but
I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would
know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning
to the car behind to pull round him.

That's very interesting that you broach this subject. As a well-versed driver of over 50 years experience, I remember well the motorist hand signals, which were of more use to cyclists than folks in autos. Regardless of that, I still frequently use those hand signals whilst driving my most expensive convertible automobile. Most of which involve the use of my middle finger.

Discuss.............

Pleasance wants one of them electric Tesla jobs. I'm on the fence about it, seeing myself having to plug in all the time, something like a well-used vibrator or such.

No more than you have to "plug in" to the gas pump. And the plug can be in your own driveway.

Maybe so, but one would need a very long extension cord three hundred miles away.

Useless in the middle of nowhere, I guess some parts of America could be difficult. In the UK there are enough charging stations, although I'm not happy with how long they take to charge. I can fill with gas in a few minutes, I haven't seen a battery that can charge that fast yet. There are some cars in some charging stations that can almost fill in 30 minutes, but that's still a long time to wait.

Many parts of America would be difficult. America is a "full-sized" nation, not a tiny island one.
I hope that clears things up...

But you have a difficulty we don't.

So tell me, how come your population density is so low? Do you guys have trouble getting it up?

It's low? Doesn't seem that way over here. In fact, I've often been heard sayin' "What we need is uh good ol'-fashioned plague."

You have areas where you don't see anyone driving for 100 miles.

I wanna go there, to those places and live!

Why don't you then? I believe one of them is called the Arizona Desert.

Too hot out there, but the scenery is nice.
How about living out there in the middle of nowhere in a trailer?

Does it have A/C?

Either it has A/C or you would have SB (scrambled brains).

You could just fit one of these at the end of your garden (from "bigass fans"):
http://www.sanitaryindustry.com/uplo...1656142013.jpg

--
Polynesia -- memory loss in parrots.