Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill[_14_] Bill[_14_] is offline

Default Well pump questions and water softener

On Tue, 29 May 2018 16:40:32 -0700 (PDT), Woodworking Smarter wrote:

Q-2: I am thinking of changing over to polypipe so we can lift and lower it ourselves. The pump has a stainless steel cable running down with the wires so I am thinking I may be able to use that with an electric winch then man-handle the polypipe into a large coil as it comes out.

I believe the polypipe can handle the depth/pressure but all the well people I talk to here want me to stay with the 21' or 25' lengths so they can rob us blind pulling it I suspect.

Anyone care to offer some ideas on that? preferably from personal experience

About 19 years ago, we pulled (by hand) my pump from ~212ft (The well
driller supervised everything we did).

There was 4-5 of us guys. The hardest part was supporting the flexible
pipe so we wouldn't crimp/fold the pipe as it was withdrawn/reinserted
into the well casing.

We had to maintain a pretty large radius as the pipe was transitioned
from vertical coming out of the casing to horizontal, and take care not
to let the loop flop/fall over sideways. The pipe is flexible, but
once its folded/crimped, it breaks/develops holes easily - or so we were
told.
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.