Posted to uk.d-i-y
mechanic mechanic is offline

Default Water Paint on external woodwork.

On Tue, 29 May 2018 17:04:56 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 29/05/2018 12:02, Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2018 11:20:15 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

On 29/05/2018 10:51, TimW wrote:
A bloke is proposing to repaint windows, porch etc. He has said water
based paints are the preferred thing these days. I raised one eyebrow.
Am I hopelessly out of date? Water? better than oil? Really? Aside from
the enviro-considerations and the colour degradation that is.

TW
Cars are painted with water based paint these days.

Mike

The pigmented material is actally plastic suspended in water which
then evaporates.

But the water-based car paint has to be protected with a clear
laquer coat, or it would not last very long.

Dulux Weathershield is still solvent-based, top coat and
undercoat if you buy the trade variety, but their matching primer
is water based and very difficult to apply to hardwood or any
wood with previous coatings.

I think you need to query his motives for suggesting this.

Yes, that'll go down well, telling a painter how to do his job.