Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default alexa in the shop - Redux

On 5/26/2018 8:52 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 23:41:31 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

Possibly, but I think of all the times when talking that my phone or
watch thought I was taking to it and instituted a conversation.
"Siri".

But then it got me to thinking if I was in a bad situation I could
say, Seriously? Call 911? or similar that would open up my phone or
watch so the cops could hear and track me down.

In principle you can. In practice I can't get "OK Google" to do
anything except get confused.

This surprises me. Of all the voice devices I have, Google is by far the
best. Rarely does it get confused and I use it all the time. Alexa gets
confused often. Voice texting screws up more often than not. My
Comcast Voice remote is shaky at best, particularly when telling it to
Fast forward 4 minutes (past commercials). Rewind 20 seconds always
works though.

I think Comcast got in trouble from advertisers as that made it too easy
to skip commercials, and what used to work well, now suddenly only works
half the time.

"OK Google" however never ceases to amaze me how well it works. Often
you can watch it correct from what it thought you said to what you
really said. Somehow it recognizes the context of your statement and
gets it right 99% of the time.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com