Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why Are Educated People More Likely to Be Atheists?

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 5:37:08 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 05/27/2018 09:00 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/27/2018 05:01 PM, T wrote:
On 05/27/2018 05:18 AM, Dean Jackson wrote:
On 26/05/2018 12:07, BurfordTJustice wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
: Why Are Educated People More Likely to Be Atheists?
:
: Religion works more through the emotions than through reason.
:
: The more education a person receives, the more likely they are to
become
: atheists (1). Non belief also increases with intelligence and income.
: Residents of more educated countries see religion as less important
: (link is external) in their daily lives (2).
:
: Why are highly educated people more likely to be atheists? There
are two
: categories of explanation. Either religious people lack a capacity
for
: skepticism, or they choose to make a blind leap of faith and
subscribe
: to the belief system adopted by their religious community.
:
:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...ly-be-atheists

: --
: Bod

Why do educated people become Priests or Clergymen?
D.J.

It is because it is Bod's religious Axiom that you have
to be stupid to believe.Â* And the troll will not
accept any evidence to the contrary, again because
it is not his religious belief.Â* No evidence necessary.

He is also "stirring the pot".Â* He trolls this comment
about every six months.

As for smart believers, arguably the greatest scientist
of our time, the one who came up with the Big Bang
Theory, is a Catholic Priest.Â* His name is Georges Lemaître.

Georges Lemaître also gave wonderful lectures about not mixing
science with religoun.

There is an interesting backstory. Lemaître was a contemporary of
Einstein and Einstein was critical of Lemaître's work. I'm not saying it
was religious but Einstein believed in a steady state universe. His
belief was so strong that when his equations didn't quite work he
introduced a Cosmological Constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_constant

Einstein accepted new experimental data and referred to the constant as
his biggest mistake, but it remains that his very equations showed an
expanding universe but his belief in a steady state universe was so
strong he threw in a fudge factor.

Scientists have beliefs too.

Disclaimer: I am not a Christian but when I was in my 30's I asked the
same question, "How can these very intelligent people believe in a
revealed religion?"Â* I did not come away convinced like C.S. Lewis but I
did come away with a greater respect at least on some level. Maggots
like Joel Osteen or the store front preachers with the Golden Comics
version disgrace the religion.

Great read! I enjoyed it.

To answer your question, once you have a personal relationship with
Jesus (God), it all makes perfect sense. Before that though, I
can see why you would wonder.

Got to love C.S. Lewis!

The personal relationship thing also worked with Jum Jones's cult too.
When you get brainwashed, you'll believe anything.