Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
Byker Byker is offline

Default Why Are Educated People More Likely to Be Atheists?

"BurfordTJustice" wrote in message news
The more education a person receives, the more likely they are to become
atheists (1). Non belief also increases with intelligence and income.
Residents of more educated countries see religion as less important (link
is external) in their daily lives (2).

Why are highly educated people more likely to be atheists? There are two
categories of explanation. Either religious people lack a capacity for
skepticism, or they choose to make a blind leap of faith and subscribe to
the belief system adopted by their religious community.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...ly-be-atheists

It comes as no surprise that most of these Catholic sex-abuse victims aren't
exactly the brightest bulbs in the string. Most come from working-class
families whose educations never went beyond high school. I do find it
somewhat perversely amusing to know these people regard their priests as God
Incarnate, who can supernaturally talk to The Lord while the laity cannot.
Yup, the Catholic clergy is BEYOND sin, so just do what the "father" says,
pervert or not.

It's not just Catholics, it's Christian fundamentalists in general. Here in
the Bible Belt, you don't find many math-and-science grads in church
congregations.

Also, a LOT of these Christian "Charismatics" or "Evangelicals" regard
Catholics as something akin to pagans because of their reliance on the
Blessed Virgin and all the assorted saints. To them that's the same as
worshiping a "graven image".

The late Christian publisher Jack Chick made Catholics the frequent target
of his numerous tacky pamphlets: https://tinyurl.com/ncg3242

Chick tracts are short evangelical gospel tracts created and published by
American publisher and religious cartoonist Jack Chick, who finally kicked
off in 2016 at age 92: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chick
More on Jack Chick: http://tinyurl.com/ho287wy

Although many of Chick's tracts express views that are generally accepted
within Christian theology, several tracts have expressed controversial
viewpoints. Most notably, Chick tracts were known for expressing strongly
anti-Catholic views, which are expressed in 20 of his tracts, as well as his
criticisms of other religions including Mormonism. The Southern Poverty Law
Center has designated Chick Publications as an active hate group. The group
was listed due to its strong anti-Catholic, anti-Muslim, and anti-fag
rhetoric. Chick's views on homosexuality have angered gay activists since
his first tract on the subject in 1972. ("The Gay Blade" tract warned of a
gay agenda to push for same sex marriage and urged fags to repent so they
could make it into heaven).

This was the first one I encountered, in 1970:
http://www.monsterwax.com/bigdaddy.gif

He didn't just step on Muslim toes, he STOMPED them:
http://www.monsterwax.com/chickreviews.html#allahreview

I never realized just how many there we
http://www.monsterwax.com/Tracts.html

Many of them are still in print.

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy...know-and-share

Here in fundamentalist country, if anyone asks me my religion, I just tell
them "Baptist" and that usually shuts them up, although I haven't been to a
worship service since 1984...