Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator wiring question

On 5/27/2018 3:32 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 5/26/2018 4:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Well Jim , all I can say is that I'm doing the wiring in my house
, and I'm trying to apportion loads to minimize neutral leg current .
Just seems like the right way to do it - though I can see why a pro
wiring a new house probably just sticks 'em wherever with no regard
to balancing loads .

I'd say that "right" implies that otherwise is wrong and it really
doesn't make ANY difference, except to the power company.Â* Because the
only neutral current that you're minimizing is that in the "drop" to
your panel.Â* You have no control over the neutral currents in your
panel and circuits.

Â* Would you like it more if I said "better" ? And FWIW I disagree with
your statement that I have "no control" over neutral currents . I may
not have a perfect balance , but I have a pretty good idea of what loads
will be on most circuits and that influences my decision on which leg to
place that load . And what difference does this make ultimately ?
Probably not a helluva lot . But if I can somewhat balance the load that
my supply transformer sees that can only be good . Or should I draw the
whole 200 amps (or as much as is 110V loads) my panel can handle from
one side ? If for no other reason than voltage sag I can't call that a
good idea . Symmetry !

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on