Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator wiring question

On 5/27/2018 6:01 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
On 5/26/2018 8:01 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 12:11:44 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 5/26/2018 11:53 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2018 05:41:56 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:38:09 -0700, etpm wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 08:40:22 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do
that" wrote:
I have a 1-1/2HP, 220v motor running from the dryer socket,
all good.
The house wiring uses the 3-wire 110-0-110 for the 220/240 but
the gen
has three pins for the 240-out. I am guessing one is Ground
and the
others are Neutral and 240v.
The reason neutral wires are called that is because they are
tied to
ground in the breaker panel which means there is no potential
voltage
between the neutral wire and the ground wire, at least in the
breaker
panel. So there is no neutral on the generator unless [...]
"The reason neutral wires are called that is because they are
tied to
ground" seems to me to be incorrect. True, in US wiring,
neutral wires
usually have near-ground voltages on them, but more generally a
neutral
wire is one with no current flowing in it when a system is in
balance.
In US wiring the neutral CAN have current running through it.
Eric
In a properly balanced load center that current will be minimized
so I corrected your statement .
Greetings Terry,
Maybe you can educate me a little. After reading posts in reply
my post I got out the amp clamp and measured the current on both
wires
of the 125 volt receptacles in my shop. Plugging in a motor and
turning it on the meter shows the same current draw on both the
neutral and hot wires.In this case approximately 2.8 amps. I wired
my
shop with wire ways so it is easy to make measurements as the wire
way
covers come off easily and the wires just lay in the wire way.
All the 125 volt receptacles on one wall are fed from the same
breaker, on another wall another breaker, and so on. I did balance
the
load in the breaker panel so that two walls are fed from one leg of
the 250 volt supply and two walls from the the other leg.
I don't understand how the neutral can be balanced and show
less
current than the hot except at the breaker panel where the power
comes
in. What am I missing? What don't I understand?
I did wire the shop myself but I was helped by a licensed
electrician, the electrical code book, and the wiring was inspected
and bought off by a particularly picky inspector.
Thanks,
Eric

Picture this , two identical grinders that operate on 110 volts ,
each on one leg of the 220 power supply and to neutral . Putting
your meter on the neutral should show zero or very close to it .
Look at it like you've put 2 110 volt loads in series across a 220
supply with the connection between motors hooked to neutral . If the
two loads are unequal the difference is carried by the neutral . If
the two loads are the same neutral current will be zero .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

The neutral current will be zero only on the grid side of the breaker
box neutral terminal block. The current going out to each grinder
through the black wire will return through the white wire, then pass
to the other grinder's white wire through the terminal block.

Â* Unless the whites are tied together outside the box as my suggestion
implies .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on