David Babcock

Default Fence responsibilty?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"David Babcock" wrote in message

To cut this short, let's get back to the important

idea.....livability.
Sit down without any agenda's and discuss as neighbors what your

feelings
are. Costs, maintenance, property lines........whatever, and hopefully

you
will get to where you stand, look your neighbor in the eye and shake

hands
as friends. And maybe put it in writing (for you legal eagles)

Yes, livability is important. Get him to pay for painting the portions of
your house that are visible from his property. After all, he does not

want
to look at a shabby house that brings property values down. I'm sure he
will want to chip in.

Where do you park your car? Is yours as nice as his? If not, get him to
make the payments on a new one.
Ed

I wasn't advocating he pay for his neighbors fence, just the opposite. What
I was saying is do it civilly, like the neighbor should have done with him.
All the points about needing the fence to have the pool, gaining nothing
esthetically or property wise, not wanting to maintain it, etc. are all
points I would bring to the neighbor, but if it were me I take the high
road. Tell him what your thoughts and expectations are, hoping there is an
understanding friendly neighbor. But walking in with an attitude, or worse,
a letter from your lawyer, (sorry guys, and my brother is a lawyer) will
most likely only make matters worse.
When I built a 6 ft stockade across the back of my property, abutting two
other properties, I built it one foot inside the property line, faced the
better side toward the neighbors, and paid for it myself.
I never heard a complaint. But then I'm 6'3" and 320 lbs. ride a Harley and
have two sons bigger than me. Go figure.

Dave