Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator wiring question

On Fri, 25 May 2018 08:40:22 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a 1-1/2HP, 220v motor running from the dryer socket, all good.

I was thinking of putting in a change over switch to run the motor from the generator when the power goes out as it does regularly out here.

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Unive.../dp/B01IZ5ZFYC

To save me dragging the gen-set out and starting it to find out what is coming out of the 240-socket, thought I'd ask here.

Oh, no. Don't ask someone else. If you're going to wire it yourself,
discover it yourself. It'll be in the manual, too.

I got some of these from Ebay for my solar setup. Manual Transfer
Switches, aka ORred circuit breakers. They run from 3A to 63A.
https://is.gd/zddRgx You have to physically turn one off before the
other will engage.

The house wiring uses the 3-wire 110-0-110 for the 220/240 but the gen has three pins for the 240-out. I am guessing one is Ground and the others are Neutral and 240v.

No, it's much more likely to have phase lines (120vac) plus a ground
for the genset. US 240vac has no neutral, only the 120vac does (line,
neutral, and ground).

How do I go about wiring that to run the motor? An ASCII diagram would be good.

CAREFULLY. If in doubt, hire an electrician. Do the box install,
switch install, and wire running yourself, and just have Sparky
connect the wires to save money. Call them first to see if they will
allow you to do that, though. Some want to do it all themselves. I
saved $100 by doing my own wiring/outdoor breaker box for the A/C
unit.

Look at the genset diagram, look at the wiring from the socket, and
follow the colors they use on your socket and extension cord. (black
white green, black white bare, black red green, or black red bare
usually. Green/bare is always ground.)

I'd run the two phase wires from the output of the circuit breaker to
the rotary or MT switch Input 1 terminals, run the two phase wires
from the genset to the rotary MT switch Input 2 terminals.

Then I'd run the existing wires (removed from the existing circuit
breaker outputs) to the output terminals from the rotary or MT switch.
Those wires go directly to the dryer socket on the wall. And run the
ground from the genset to the circuit breaker panel ground bar.
Be sure to cover the hot side of the switch, so fingers couldn't
accidentally touch the hots. That hurts.

Is your generator box outside, near the circuit breaker box, so you
can drill a hole, put in a waterproof socket, and make a short
extension cord from the genset to the house, where the switch will go?
It makes things easier.

I bought a 250' roll of 12/2 w/ ground Romex for outleted circuits and
100' of nice, flexible 12/3 wire for 240v bandsaw/DC/tablesaw and
extension cord when I got this new-used house. There was no 240v in
the (2-car) shop, so I put in 3 outlets, ran the wiring, and removed
the 240v electric wallboard heaters, reusing the old circuit breakers
for the shop.

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle