Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Generator wiring question

On Fri, 25 May 2018 08:40:22 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a 1-1/2HP, 220v motor running from the dryer socket, all good.

I was thinking of putting in a change over switch to run the motor from the generator when the power goes out as it does regularly out here.

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Unive.../dp/B01IZ5ZFYC

To save me dragging the gen-set out and starting it to find out what is coming out of the 240-socket, thought I'd ask here.

The house wiring uses the 3-wire 110-0-110 for the 220/240 but the gen has three pins for the 240-out. I am guessing one is Ground and the others are Neutral and 240v.

How do I go about wiring that to run the motor? An ASCII diagram would be good.

Thanks

If your gen ouit is 240, nor 120/240, the motor will connect across
the 2 "line out" terminals while the third terminal will be a ground -
no neutral.

If it is 120/240 it will have 4 wires unless it is ANCIENT