Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Dumb electronics question - aerial extension for wireless

David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 15:09:00 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

David wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 10:47:09 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking David wrote :
Screen at the front is self contained and sits over the rear view
mirror,
but powered by a lead to a 12v socket. Possible to use that lead
as an aerial (I have no idea if they do) but there is no obvious
external aerial.

Communication will probably one way. Camera only transmits the
picture,
screen only receives the signal...

Not so if it's a WiFi connection using TCP/IP. There has to be a
'conversation' between the ends to establish communication.

I doubt that it is using WiFi but I will use my phone as a scanner to
check.

If it was WiFi then a repeater might help. However I am assuming that
it is just broadcasting, but with some kinds of encryption to prevent
trampling over other signals or picking up other signals.

But what's at the other end? I don't think you've explained this yet
really. Is it just a dedicated camera and display system or is it a
'web camera' and a simple server to display?

Battery powered (self contained) camera at the back of the caravan.

Cigar socket powered screen which fits over the central rear view mirror
in the car.

Both self contained units.

.... and does anything say how they're supposed to talk to each other?

I think some posters have been a little enthusiastic in their snippery.

Yes, probably.

--
Chris Green
ยท