Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln Welder electrical questions

On 5/24/2018 8:11 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi Guys,

Two Welders:
Welder 1: Weld-pak100.
Is there any way to convert this to 220v? They make a similar 220 version and I am wondering if it is just a wiring thing to the transformer. The wiring diagram -- Page 47,
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...ln3/imt460.pdf

This shows three H2 connections. Is the 220v version just wired with a different plug and cable using the third H2? If so, can someone please give me an amended diagram on how to do this to reduce Amp draw.

Welder 2: Power MIG 255
When I bought this many years back the weld-shop guy gave me a stubby extension cable that plugs the welder to a dryer outlet. I have used the welder for 10+ years in an outlying shed at a hobby level and never had an issue popping dual-20A breakers.

For reasons yet to be understood, {grin} yesterday I got to reading the back panel and it stated 50A-Outlet. Holy **** Batman! But nothing even gets warm at the outlet or the wires leading to it.

I set it up with a clamp meter on one wire and my phone recording video of the meter and it peaked for about 1/4-second at 23.7A. But it mostly stayed around the 20A - 22A marks. Obviously that was not enough to trip the breakers under intermittent load, thus never having had a problem.

Now if you are about to jump on me about burning the shed down then go warn someone else, I don't really give a ****. Over the years, I have put through probably 5 large reels of wire and nary a popped breaker. I put in two new 20A breakers yesterday just in case and they never popped either.

Now here's the question, should I really run three 250-feet lengths of 25A-rated (or whatever) wire from the house panel just to be sure --or-- not bother until I pop the breakers -- if ever?

Helpful thoughts other than mindless cautionary trolling?

Might just mention awesome welder, makes me look better at it than I really am.

Break out your meter:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS...-100/303426691

Very likely a 30 AMP 120V outlet.