Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Upgrading to 300Amp electric service

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-4, Mistert wrote:
replying to PipeDown, Mistert wrote:
I have a small 1800 sq foot home 2 full bath and 2 old fogies live here
retired and i want to go to the tankless Eco 36 but have 200 not 300 amp svce.
and we never have 2 showers at once just a load of clothes. Do I have to add
more elect'l service?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-104380-.htm

It's 36KW, so it needs 150A. With 200A, you only have 50A left for everything
else. So, what are the other significant loads? AC? Electric ovens?
Cooktop? Dryer? Add it up and you'll have your answer. Even one of
those other loads and you're close to the limit. I think for
most people, tankless makes no sense, for a variety of reasons. Starting
with that I don't believe the operating cost savings justify the larger
upfront costs. The essential difference is you're eliminating the standby
losses of a tank type. Electric tank you can buy one of those extra
insulation blankets and pretty much totally enclose it in more insulation
which will reduce the losses.