Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator wiring question

On 5/25/2018 10:40 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi,

I have a 1-1/2HP, 220v motor running from the dryer socket, all good.

I was thinking of putting in a change over switch to run the motor from the generator when the power goes out as it does regularly out here.

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Unive.../dp/B01IZ5ZFYC

To save me dragging the gen-set out and starting it to find out what is coming out of the 240-socket, thought I'd ask here.

The house wiring uses the 3-wire 110-0-110 for the 220/240 but the gen has three pins for the 240-out. I am guessing one is Ground and the others are Neutral and 240v.

How do I go about wiring that to run the motor? An ASCII diagram would be good.

Thanks

Â* I think you'll find that those 3 pins are neutral and 220 on the
other 2 , with either hot to the neutral at 110 . Mine has a 4 wire
socket , with 2 hots a neutral and a ground . I suggest you look up your
model generator on the interwebs and see what the owners manual says .
Out of curiosity , what's the motor do ? Just sit there and run or does
it power something ?

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on