L Beck

Default Fence responsibilty?

wrote in message

This may not be the right group but I'll take a chance that someone
may shed some light on these questions that I have always wanted to
ask.

Scenario: You move into an existing sub were one of your next
door neighbors has a property line fence because he has a pool.
You have no other fencing other than the shared fence of above.

1. If this neighbor decided to remove the shared property line section
of fence that is falling apart, and replace it with a new length,
are you required to chip in with the cost?

2. If the neighbor puts up this new section of fence doesn't he have
to have your approval before he puts it on the property line,
otherwise he must put it just inside the property line?

I ask these questions because I have no use for fences. The shared
fence is only there because of my neighbors pool. I have no clue as to
if the previous owner of my house had any agreement with the original
pool owner about the initial installation of the fence.

Our next-door neighbor wanted to replace his fence on our side of his
property. We received a notification by mail from an attorney that this was
his plan. He also stated that the fence would be placed 6 inches inside his
property line (on his side), and the main reason we were being notified was
that they may need to step on our property to complete the
removal/replacement of the fence. Not sure if that was done because of laws
saying he had to notify us, or if he was just being a good neighbor and
covering all of his bases. But we appreciated it - we had chickens and a
dog at the time, so needed to make sure we could keep them confined.