Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Fitting freesat dishes, etc

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Do bear in mind there are more than one satellite up there, and the one
you want is astra on 28.2E

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite...uk-ireland.htm

tells you (given where you are) where to start pointing it

Many years ago, in the days of analogue (?) satellites, I travelled a
moderate distance to purchase an advertised low cost steerable dish
system. I always wondered if I was sold a collection of incompatible
junk, as a colleague who went to the same supplier a week or so later
was quoted a much higher price for a system.

I had to bodge the LNB mount to get it anywhere near the correct point
relative to the dish, and never did manage to get the thing to steer an
arc to get more than 2 satellites. Bringing in a professional firm,
sign-written van and all, just made it worse before they gave up.

When it worked it was good and I watched a lot of excellent concerts
broadcast by our continental neighbours, as well as getting the specific
satellites for Portuguese and other channels that the family wanted at
the time.

I decided that the steering mechanism wasn't ever going to be
satisfactory, so devised a plan to build something computer-controlled
to scan the sky and memorise satellite positions. Unfortunately, I only
got as far as acquiring two large old industrial printers as a source of
stepper motors before exhaustion overcame me.

The receiver died, the cables fell victim to an over-enthusiastic
strimmer, the large dish is still mounted on the garage and the two
printers are part of the junk collection in the shed that must be got to
the tip asap.

I've not bothered with satellites since.
--
Bill