Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default quality bandages

On 5/15/2018 8:20 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 11:25:01 AM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Any cites on that, Sonny?

Getting back after some delay.... I take care of Mom Sunday evenings through Monday evenings and this weekend I went earlier, for Mom's Day.

No, I didn't/don't have a link. My field is/was orthopedics. Even when I had my stroke and heart attacks, I was ignorant about some related things and I asked my treating physicians specific questions. Having some medical insight, I was/am in a position, more so than the average patient, to ask specific questions.

Stand-alone symptoms, like split nails, raised ridges on the nails, line-like streaks on the nails, can be signs of vitamin deficiency. Again, one needs a complete exam, to carefully consider other issues that may contribute to, otherwise, not-readily-seen indications and/or relate symptoms.

One thing heart attack patients should ask their Dr.: How much damage (%) has been done to my heart muscle? To give you some idea of what that means, i.e., a comparison that you may be more apt to understand, consider this: If your biceps muscle is 10% damaged, what effect does this have on your, otherwise, normal use of that muscle? A weakened heart muscle should be babied, so we have to be careful with our subsequent activities.

I had a mild stroke at age 49..... in 2002, obligated/forced to retire. Subsequently have had 2 heart attacks. I haven't kept up, in detail, with all medical updates, etc., etc., even in my field. A few days ago, I felt the need(?) to volunteer my comments, here. They were't meant to foster a possible "scare tactic" scenario, but meant to be more informative.

Also, it is never wrong or improper to get second opinions!!!! Especially with serious issues. No physician, that I know, would be insulted, if a patient suggests getting a second opinion.

Sonny

Thanks for the candid response, Sonny. I hope that I made it plain that
I was merely interested in sources rather than being critical. I know
that there are specific relationships between things such as clubbing of
the fingertips and heart disease. Many of these "signs" can also be
linked to other, sometimes more benign, causes. The old medical (I
think) adage "when you hear hoof beats, look for horses, not zebras"
remains valid but it doesn't mean that there AREN'T zebras out there.
I'd never heard of the link between splitting nails or lines in the nail
being linked to heart disease. In my brief research since your post, I
seen linkage of these symptoms to other causes but nothing much in the
way of heart disease.