Frontier

Default Heat Keeps Shutting Off - Resolution

He mentioned we could go for the new heat exchange or a new furnace. The
current one is 12 years old and I think we can get just a bit more out of
it, so we went with the Heat Exchanger. There was no sales pitch at all, he
offered, I directed, and he said fine.

They were covered under warranty. I only paid labor.

He called me down specifically to look at the pieces he removed to show me
the cracks and he filled out some paperwork with a header of the Air
Conditioning Institute or some such thing that showed where the cracks were.

I feel I was well treated by them.

Thanks again for all the help.

"CBhvac" stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com wrote in
message ...

"Frontier" wrote in message
Well, the repair people came out today and found a number of cracks in

the
heat exchange. What was happinging was that one of the cracks was right

by
the overheat switch/sensor and the heat escaping kept tripping it.

Thanks to all those who added comments.

Ok..good...now, before you go spend a ton, I have to ask....

Did they run a CO test to determine to look for a cracked heat exchanger,

or
did they just test a couple of things and declare it bad?
When they found them, the cracks, did they SHOW them to you?

How old is the unit? Many units have either a lifetime warranty, or a 20
year warranty on the HE...if the HE is under warranty, they will still
charge you labor, but not for the part....if the part is no longer made,

or
able to be had, the company that made the unit is responsible for some
reduction in cost on a new unit.

IF the company that found the cracks went into full blown sales mode after
this, start shopping. IF they really found leaks, legally, they are
responsible for shutting and locking the gas flow to the unit till

someone,
even if its not them, replaces the unit.

"Frontier" wrote in message
I am having trouble with keeping the heat on in our home. The heat

will
come on, as normal, but the blower and heat will shut down before

reaching
the temperature at which the thermostat is set and the thermostat

continues
to flash "heat" as if it thinks the unit is still on. This normally

happens
when the outside temperature gets below about 20 F.

We called in the heating people and they determined that the valve was

shot
from doing a test that showed that little gas was getting to the

furnace.
This was right after Thanksgiving. We had a warm spell and it seemed

be
working OK, but the last few days have been colder and it is happening
again.

The odd thing is that sometimes it will run for hours and work fine,

as
happened last night. I got up during the night to find the

temperature
in
the house at 64. I turned the heat off (to reset the thoermostat) and

back
on and it ran for a number of hours.

Just a few minutes ago I turned it on after replacing the filter, and

it
ran
for about 10 minutes before shutting off, with "heat" still flashing

on
the
thermostat.

Any ideas?