Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronic water softeners e.g. Vulcan 3000 - how effective?

On Mon, 14 May 2018 21:57:57 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 13/05/2018 16:14, Chrisp wrote:
replying to Simon Mason, Chrisp wrote:

The only benefits of softened water are that it reduces scaling in your
central heating system

Nonsense, the water in the CH primary system is recirculating. Once any
scale from the original fill has been deposited, there will be little
further scaling unless fresh water is being continually added.

Most boiler manufacturers also caution against filling the system with
softened water.

and your bathwater uses less soap (you can buy a lot of soap for
£1300...).
Otherwise, they are an expensive and unnecessary scam.

They can't be a scam, since they work as advertised. Whether you believe
them to be necessary or not is a separate issue.

I laugh at the Calgon adverts with the lime encrusted washing machine
elements. We are in a hard water area, and I didn't have to touch our
washing machine element for twelve years. Even then, it was only because
the integral gasket had hardened and started to leak - the actual element
had a light film of scale.