Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Edgetech Disc sand for TS

On 5/10/2018 10:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 5/9/2018 10:52 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/8/2018 7:30 AM, Jack wrote:

I never used the one mentioned here, but I don't think a disk sander is
any where near as good as a TS in getting dead square and parallel
edges. Disk sanders are good at sanding curved edges. IMO, if you
aren't getting good edges off the TS, you need to tune up the saw...

+1

OTOH, disc sanders are the bees knees for miter joints, not just curved edges.

I've used it on miter joints more than once, but I don't think I'd call
it the "bees knees". If your saw is set up correctly, you generally
have no need for a disc sander to fix miter joint problems. The main
secret to TS miters is preventing the wood from sliding when cutting, so
sandpaper on the fence of your perfectly made miter saw table is a good
idea.

Personally, I cut a lot of miters with my H.C. Marsh miter vise (subsequently
sold by Stanley as the #100 miter machine https://www.ebay.com/i/123109187472)
and a backsaw. So cleaning up the cut on the disc sander works well.

I can see that. On a TS however, generally no reason to use a disk
sander, particularly a disk sander on a TS.

"perfectly made miter saw table" sounds expensive :-).

I should have put that in quotes, and included "homemade". It was meant
as a light reference to another thread about making miter tables for the
TS. They are super easy to make and about guarantee perfect miters
every time, and cost almost nothing but a small amount of time to
construct. Miter joints in my cabinet shop are not used that often. I
made the "perfectly made miter sled" when I was making lots of picture
frames, which is where 99% of my miter joints are used in my shop.

My 25yo Delta
chopsaw isn't perfect by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but works
well when building fences and doing construction (nowadays I keep an
abrasive blade in it for cutting unistrut and EMT).

I don't own a chop saw. I considered buying one once when I did more
carpentry work than I do now. When I built my shed with a gambrel roof
I borrowed one which made things easier, but other than that, I just
used a plane old CS to cut up construction wood for decks, steps
porches, sheds etc.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com