kjpro

Default Digital Thermostat Click

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

HvacTech2 wrote:

Hi George, hope you are having a nice day

On 21-Dec-03 At About 00:04:06, George E. Cawthon wrote to All
Subject: Digital Thermostat Click

GEC From: "George E. Cawthon"

GEC You are right, there was no click with my digital Honeywell
GEC thermostat. Can't really imagine there would be one with any kind
GEC of electronic thermostat, wouldn't they all use a solid state
GEC switch. Why would anyone put the mechanical relay, if there is

one,
GEC in the thermostat instead of at the furnace. There may be a click
GEC at my furnace but there is so much other noise when it start that
GEC you couldn't hear a click without having the furnace cover off. A
GEC mechanical relay in a digital thermostat sounds like a real design
GEC flaw.

There are several models with mechanical relays. there are several

reasons
for this. one is to make it compatible with millivolt systems. the other

one
is to keep the bleed through down which causes some unit circuit boards
problem so it isn't a design flaw. it is a plus.

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. Of course there's a God. What else explains Speedos?

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the need for
clicks in mechanical systems. BUT, we live in a computer
and semiconductor age. I'm no electronics guy so don't know
much about bleed through.
My computer turns all sort of stuff on and off inside the
case, and except for a grunting hard disk, there are no
click like noises; lots of motor whine, doors opening and
closing, but I don't hear clicks except those I make with
the keyboard and mouse. If my computer were operating
peripherals about the house, I would put the relays, if
needed, in the peripheral. I can understand relay noise
with heavy amperage, but there is no reason to have high
amperage within an electronic thermostat. Maybe it isn't a
design flaw, just a design that cheap or fails to take
advantage of newer technology, but I can't see it as a plus,
unless simplicity, univeral applications, low cost, or some
other think is the primary purpose.

I get really ****ed at extraneous and unknow cause noises.
I don't even like clicks from light switches; that's why I
use silent or mercury switches. Lots of electronic stuff
burps, buzzes, vibrates, but it most cases it because of
poorly made or poorly installed parts (too tight, too loose,
or failure to use an insulator.

My Amana gas heater ****es me off with the noise it makes
when it turns on. I'm told there is nothing they can do.
The noise goes straight into the plenum and then to a
bedroom bath where is much louder than standing right 1 foot
from the furnace. It's a high pitched whine which could be
either electrical or mechanical. It starts just before or
at the same time as the inducer fan starts, before the
burner comes on, and before the main blower starts. It is
not the inducer fan--with the cover panel off the inducer
fan runs very quitely. Whatever it is, it is the first
thing and continues until the inducer fan shuts off, but the
whine is masked when the burner comes on.

That's what you get for buying an AMANA.

--
kjpro

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!