Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Morris battery. Again.

On Fri, 11 May 2018 01:09:51 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
So clearly the battery *was* originally in the front. This is also
shown by an early photograph of the engine compartment, which shows
the battery (note that this particular version has the engine oriented
the other way round - later changed due to carburettor icing).

It was a major engineering job to turn the engine round, involving
adding transfer gears.

So spinning the engine in the opposite direction wasn't an option?

No. They considered that, but too much would have had to be changed -
including the camshaft, distributor ... the loss in power was considered
acceptable. They were trying to use existing production parts as much as
possible. The engine block and transfer gear(s) were new, of course, but
not much else.

Not that I think turning the engine around had any effect on the battery
position as such - the exhaust manifold was at the front (then at the
back), which didn't change the distance to the battery.